LEGO 6813: Galactic Chief - REVIEW

LEGO has done three different series of Space Police vehicles over the years.  Today's model "Galactic Chief" is from the second series of Space Police and was produced in 1993.

When I was a kid, I had exactly one Space Police set (and it was from the original Space Police series).  As such, this set (and the other two Space Police sets that I picked up recently) are completely new to me.

The set itself is quite small - only 23 pieces.  On the plus side, the vehicle looks like a fast car - and certainly like something you could imagine a space police force utilizing.

On the other hand, the vehicle has no spot to actually hold a criminal (you know, just in case the Galactic Chief succeeds in hunting down the scum of the universe).  It also, rather curiously, doesn't have any sort of weapons...unless you count the loudspeaker (or loudhailer as Bricklink calls it).

Although the set is extremely small, it does hold the distinction of being one of only two sets to have the actual Police Chief in it (the other set being the much larger Galactic Mediator.  The captain's name is "Captain Magenta" which is weird, I'll leave it at that.

I do like his shoulder piece though, makes him look like an old-timey general or something.

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  3
Play Value:  7
Kid Value:  5
Adult Value:  1
Overall:  3

The set is a small set, so it's hard to expect too much.  However, given that the set is all about a police chief, you'd expect either some sort of weapon or some sort of way to transport prisoners.  Since this set has neither, that cuts into the bottom line.  Furthermore, the set itself doesn't lend itself to much in the way of other builds.  Finally, the only moving piece is the windshield - and the poor police chief doesn't even get any sort of steering wheel or other instrument panel.


Comments

  1. You have the wrong shirt print. http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Magenta
    I didn't know Space police II had two shirt prints until I obtained Sonar Security with Captain Magenta's shirt instead of what your figure is showing, and my reaction was...Huh?
    Incidentally Nachos Grande, I have Captain Magneta's shirt...if you'd like it, message me here. https://www.facebook.com/Futuronyouth. I'd be willing to give it to you in exchange for getting added to your blog list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment