LEGO 30062: Target Practice - REVIEW

When I was a youngster, the castle line of LEGO was one of my favorites.  I still remember playing with various factions like the Wolfpack, the Forestmen, and even the Dragon Masters.  As such, when I saw the Target Practice set for sale (and for under $10), I knew I had to have it for old time's sake.

The set itself consists of 31 pieces including an archer, a target, a small tree (with apples), and a campfire (complete with a chicken leg).  Once again, if I had this set when I was younger I would have loved it - the closest set I ever had was this target set which was much, much lamer than the Target Practice set that I now own.

This is only the second LEGO set that I've opened up since I gave up LEGO years and years ago.  Seeing how many minifigures I've purchased, I can tell that this is a slippery slope indeed!  Let's not waste any more time - here's the polybag that houses the set.

The set itself is fairly simple (as expected for a polybag set) but there are a few interesting pieces.

According to the complete instructions (which fit on a small sheet), one should start by first building the "base."

The base consists of a 4x4 green plate that houses both the apple tree and the big target (which you can swivel up and down).


From there, the second half of the build consists of the small fire pit (with chicken leg) and sticking a pair of included spears in the brown box.

After completing the figure (complete with quiver for arrows), the set is finished.

For such a small set, there is a lot to like about the Target Practice set.  For one, the figure has plenty of weapons (bow plus two spears) (all of which can work with the target).  My completed set came with a pair of extra pieces (a flame and the hook used to hold the target).  For someone who would be interested in the parts for bigger sets, that's also great since both pieces are fairly unique (and useful)!



The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  9
Play Value:  10
Kid Value:  10
Adult Value:  8
Overall:  9

It's hard to find much to fault with the set.  The figure is nice, you get plenty of weapons and a nice target.  The apples would make for some fun target practice as well - and the chicken leg over the fire completes the small base.  As a kid, I would have loved to add this to my larger castle sets.  As an adult, I appreciate the various pieces (especially the flames, the chicken leg, and the apples).  For the price, you can't really beat this set - highly recommended!

Comments

  1. I got this set for pretty much all the reasons you've listed. That and, I was knee deep in Castle collecting back then. Personally, the telescope's and ExoForce robot hands are the set's most useful parts, but the whole thing is chock full of fun to use goodies; very rare at this size in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment