LEGO 30152: Mining Quad - REVIEW

The LEGO Mining Quad (set number 30152) was released in 2012.  The set has 40 pieces and includes a single mining minifigure.  The Mining Quad set is decided to go with the other (much larger) mining sets.  According to Brickipedia, the Mining Quad set is the only mining set to not include at least one gold crystal.  Despite that omission, the set does have a few interesting elements.

My scanner didn't like trying to scan the polybag.

Let's rip open the polybag and see what all the set contains.

With only 40 pieces, I wasn't expecting a lot of cool stuff.  However, I was pleasantly surprised!  We begin with the instruction booklet which is amazingly small...I've placed the torso of the miner next to the booklet for comparison.

Speaking of the miner, he's awesome!

The torso has some nice printing and the helmet (with light) is a nice touch.  My favorite part though is the beads of sweat running down the poor guy's face.  It adds a nice element of realism if you ask me!

As for the actual build, with only 40 pieces it is basically over before it started...

For me, there are a few neat (and unique) pieces in the set including the yellow front (that molded bit is a single piece).  I also never saw the 2x1 brick containing a single stud and a hook before (you can see that is what is holding the orange light and handlebars).

I like the fact that the driver can actually hold the handlebars of the quad. I also think the handlebars work better than a steering wheel since this supposed to be a 4x4 vehicle rather than a true car.

The back of the card has two hooks - one of which holds the miner's jackhammer and the other hook holds the dynamite (another new piece for my collection).  There are also a pair of traffic cones, though I question whether a quad is the right vehicle to be using when needing to divert traffic.

All told, the set is quite nice for such a small package.  My polybag also included a couple of extra lights - something that is appreciated since small pieces can be lost easily with play.  Had I had this set when I was a kid, I would have loved it to be sure!


The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  9
Play Value:  9
Kid Value:  9
Adult Value:  4
Overall:  8

This set scores high marks for play value and for kids.  I remember back when I was a kid I loved getting vehicles that also included signs for my roadways.  The traffic cones are perfect (and can serve plenty of uses in play).  The dynamite offers a lot of fun choices as well - and the jackhammer looks good with any construction scene.

For adults, I don't think the value is quite the same.  I suppose getting a few more bright yellow pieces is good for MOCs (and the minifigure is superb) but otherwise there isn't a lot to offer with the polybag.

That said, this is a polybag that you can pick up for under $10.00 (even still despite it being over a year old).  I think for that price this is a solid purchase!

Comments

  1. Is that one of those sets you see hanging by the checkouts in Target? Looks nice, may have to look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's a hanging pack. This one is probably my favorite out of all of the small packs that I've built.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment