LEGO 60011 - Surfer Rescue - REVIEW

This particular set was a recent Christmas gift courtesy of my youngest brother.  It didn't make my initial LEGO Christmas post because he forgot to bring it home with him in December - however, I won't complain about a January LEGO present!
Wrapping paper?  No.  Bow?  Yes.  Good enough for me!

Although small in size (the set clocks in at 32 pieces), this particular set goes well with a previous set that my brother bought me (a vintage jet ski race set that I'll showcase on this blog at some point in the somewhat near future I'm sure)!  Obviously, he saw this set and thought it went well with the previous set - and from what I can tell from the box art, he's correct!

However, let's not make assumptions.  Let's open up set #60011 and see what all is included in the Surfer Rescue set!

Upon opening the box, you are greeted with a surprising hefty instruction manual, a sticker sheet, a bag of pieces, and most of a shark's carcass.

The process of putting together the set begins with the two included figures.  One is a coast guard rescue guy and the other is the surfer who's about to have a scary date with a shark.  This set comes with four stickers (or one sticker for every eight pieces) which seems like a bit too much for me.  However, I will admit that the sticker on the surfboard does make the board quite a bit more interesting to look at.

The bulk of the pieces go into the small personal watercraft.  I have to admit, it's a nice looking jet ski - and it's definitely cooler and sleeker than the old vintage jet skis that LEGO used to make (though I'm sure some people will prefer the older, clunkier versions "just because").  

Personally, I like the orange, white, and blue motif that adorns the coast guard jet ski.  To me, it looks like it could easily be a real rescue unit, though I'm not sure I'd want to be the officer in charge of rescuing a downed surfer from a shark on a measly jet ski!

In the end, this is a solid little set for the money.  How solid?  Let's look at my ratings:
The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  10
Play Value:  10
Kid Value:  10
Adult Value:  4
Overall:  8

This set is perfect for kids!  For the price, you get a ton of play value - namely two minifigures, a shark, a small vehicle, a surf board, and a pair of life jackets (along with a life preserver ring).  For a set with only 32 pieces, I can't imagine a set boasting more play value than you get out of this set.  Also, for the price, getting a pair of minifigures is a good deal - both of which have some decent printing on their torsos as well!

As with many LEGO sets, you do get a few extra pieces (these are not included in the piece count on the front of the box).

Nothing to write home about, but still nice!  The extra life jacket is the best feature - if only the surfer had worn one to start with he probably wouldn't need to be rescued!

Comments