The LEGO Movie: Summer 2014 Sets (A Preview)

Awhile back, LEGO released some information about their summer wave of the 2014 LEGO Movie themed sets.  I haven't had a chance to pick up any of the current LEGO Movie sets - but I know there is at least one set in the summer wave that is a "must have" for me.  

Which one is it?  Read on to find out - and in the process I'll provide my initial reaction and review to each of the three upcoming sets.

First up, set #70814:  Emmet's Construct-O-Mech

LEGO's description of the set:
Get ready and Prepare for the ultimate battle with evil Lord Business. Join creative forces with Master Builder Emmet to make this massive Mech. Open up the cockpit and place Emmet in the driver’s seat. Knock over anything that gets in your way with the swinging wrecking balls. Grab a Skeletron in the Mech’s excavator bucket or rotate the roller to iron out the opposition. But hurry before Lord Business glues the whole world together. Includes 3 mini figures with accessories: Emmet and 2 Skeletrons, plus an Angry Kitty figure.
What I think of it:

I like the fact that you get Angry Kitty and Emmet.  I don't know that you need two skeletons - I think maybe (yet another) robot baddie would have been better just for variety's sake.  As for the set itself, I know that robots and mechs have a strong fan base among LEGO collectors...but I'm not one of them.  For me, it's a nice enough model but unless it is on sale for super cheap, I have no plans on picking this one up.  

Next, #70815 Super Secret Police Dropship

LEGO's description of the set:
Oh No! Lord Business’ Robo Police have invaded Cloud Cuckoo Land in their high-tech Dropship and are in hot pursuit of Emmet, Batman, Green Ninja and Johnny Thunder! With a pair of Robo SWATs at the controls in the dual cockpit, fire up the rocket boosters for lift-off. Once airborne, turn the rear control to rotate the boosters and surge forward in fly mode. Fire the stud blasters and target the heroes with the rotating front cannons and rooftop rifle. Open the sliding side panels to access the weapon rack and extend the zip line to lower the Robo SWATs to the ground. Make a smooth landing and then try to capture Emmet and co in the Dropship’s removable prison. Includes 8 minifigures with weapons and accessories: Emmet, Batman, Green Ninja, Johnny Thunder and 4 Robo SWATs.
What I think of it:
I love the fact that you get Batman in this set - and if you've seen the movie you know that Batman is an excellent secondary character!  I don't have the same love for either the Green Ninja or Johnny Thunder (in fact, I don't think I even knew who Johnny Thunder was when I first read the name).  I also like that this set clocks in with over 850 pieces - large sets are fun!  In general, I expect this set to perhaps outperform the other two summer sets - mostly on the strength of eight minifigures (especially thanks to Batman).

The third and final set is the one that is a must have for me:  70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LEGO's description of the set:
Go intergalactic with The LEGO® Movie Benny’s Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP! with detachable wing flyers plus Robo Police interceptor.
Benny may have spent too much time in space with a lack of oxygen, but this wacky character is also a Master Builder. Help him construct the Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! of his dreams then help the heroes to evade the Robo Police interceptor. Open the Count down for lift-off in Benny’s dream Spaceship!
What I think of it:
In a word, LOVE.  Benny's Spaceship (x3) is the second largest LEGO Movie set to date (the only larger set being Metalbeard's Sea Cow which has 2,741 pieces).  I loved all things classic Space as a kid - so this set truly is a must have for me.  I love the old school space logo making a return - and the Benny character is my favorite from the movie (and I know I'm not alone on that thought either)!  I do wish you get a non-disguised version of Emmet but otherwise this set is pretty much perfect!  

---

Overall, I think the LEGO Movie summer release line-up is strong, though extremely limited.  I find it a bit odd that LEGO didn't include any micromanagers in any of the summer sets after (I believe) having a micromanager in every single LEGO Movie set up until now.  I also think it's a bit odd that there aren't any smaller (i.e. cheaper) sets to be released in the summer - you would think LEGO would want to time the next wave with the release of the movie on DVD and Blu-Ray (I hope to get the movie on Blu-Ray on release day)!  No matter, any wave of sets that features a spaceship as nice as Benny's (with all the old-school logo love) is a winner in my book!  

What do you think of the summer LEGO Movie sets?  Will you be picking any of them up or is this wave a "miss" for you?  Let me know!


Comments

  1. I'm planning to review Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship. Guess that means yes. I'm really enthused by Metalbeard's Sea Cow and its steampunk influence, but given my resources and blog objectives, I've got to put the money where it will give me the most bang, and that's Benny and his X-Wing canopy in Trans Yellow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment