Minifigure Museum: Ocean King (Series 7)



Ocean King:  Series 7 LEGO Collectible Minifigure

I started collecting the LEGO Collectible Minifigure Series a few years after they were first released (which helps to explain why I still need so many figures from the earlier series)!  In fact, it was Series 7 which was one of the first series where I was able to purchase packs new from the store!  Not coincidentally, Series 7 was also one of the first series in which I managed to track down all 16 figures!

As for the Ocean King, I like him a lot.  In fact, when Series 7 came out the Ocean King joined the bagpiper and the tennis guy as my top three figures to acquire in the Series 7 checklist!  Now that I have the entire series, I can also report that the Red Riding Hood figure is also quite nice - but even that can't match the majesty of the Ocean King.

The figure itself comes with a golden trident, a hair piece with a crown molded onto it, a beard, a tail piece, and a nice torso.

While the printing is quite nice on the figure (despite no back printing), I found the difference in the gold color of the crown and the trident to be the main disappointment with the figure.  I also wish the crown was able to separated from the hairpiece - perhaps LEGO should have waited for the Ocean King figure to be made until after the new hair pieces with the hole in the top (to which a crown could have been attached).

However, despite those two minor complaints the overall figure is still one of my all-time favorites.

I wish LEGO would do more Greek/Roman gods in minifigure form - they make for fun figures that can be used in a variety of dioramas or vignettes.


Comments