LEGO 70818: Double-Decker Couch - REVIEW

Over the past several weeks, I have managed to pick up a few small sets here and there.

Unfortunately, what I haven't had time to do (until now) is actually build any of those sets!

For today's review, I decided to dig into the Double-Decker Couch set from The LEGO Movie line of sets.  This particular set was one of the  three sets from The LEGO Movie released in 2015.  It was also a "must have" set for me since it featured most of the crew of the movie at a nice, affordable price point ($14.99 at Target).

The question is, was it actually worth the price - and is the double-decker couch really as good of an idea as poor 'ol Emmet thought it was?
Vitruvius: We are entering your mind...
Emmet: What?
Vitruvius: To prove that you have the unlocked potential to be a Master Builder.
[Vitruvius and Wyldstyle make chanting noises around Emmet, followed by a big flash of light]
Emmet: [floating in space] Whoa, are we inside my brain right now? It's big. I must be smart.
Vitruvius: I'm not hearing a whole lot of activity in here.
Lucy: I don't think he's ever had an original thought... in his life.
Emmet: [chuckles] That's not true. For instance, one time I wanted a bunch of my friends over to watch TV, not unlike this TV that just showed up magically. And not everybody can fit on my one couch, and I thought to myself, well, what if there's such a thing as a bunkbed but as a couch? Introducing the double decker couch! So everyone could watch TV together and be buddies!
Lucy: That's literally the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Vitruvius: Please, Wyldstyle, let me handle this. That idea is just the worst.

First, the real stars of the set are the actual movie stars.  You get Emmet (with a hair piece and a hard hat), President Business, Unikitty (sitting version), Benny, and Ghost Vitruvius.

Each figure (other than Vitruvius) features double-sided faces.  The Unikitty figure gets a second face as well in the form of a couple of extra bricks.

I should not that all the bricks (including the waffle brick) are printed.  Not a single sticker in this set - yay!

In addition to the great assortment of minifigures, you get two small objects to build.  First, Emmet's car.

The car is exceedingly tiny - but it is an accurate representation of what was shown in the movie.  The car does having opening doors plus a tiny storage area in the back that is just large enough to stash Emmet's hard hat.

The other object is the main focus of the set - the Double-Decker couch.  The couch features two levels of seating plus four cup holders (and four white mugs).

The one bad thing about the couch is that there isn't room for all five included figures to sit on it - poor Ghost Vitrivius has to simply hover nearby I guess.

The Double-Decker couch set goes nicely withThe LEGO Movie releases: Bad Cop Car Chase (in which you get Wyldstyle, Bad Cop, and two Robo Swats) and Batman and Super Angry Kitty Attack (in which you get a different Unikitty plus Batman, Skeletron, and a Micromanager).   For under $50  ($14.99 + $23.99 + $9.99), you can pick up three sets and end up with all of the main characters from the movie, plus an alternate Unikitty version, plus a number of bad guys - and some vehicles.  That makes for a solid deal - and while I would argue that only the Double-Decker Couch set has anything resembling an "iconic" build from the movie, the three sets work wonderfully together.  So wonderfully, in fact, that I think I will have to give serious consideration about picking up the other two sets for my own collection!

The Bottom Line:
Fun:  9
Play value:  9
Kid value:  10
Adult value:  5
Overall:  8.5

For the money, this is a hard set to beat since you get a ton of minifigures.  Of course, if you don't have any interest in The LEGO Movie then this set probably isn't for you since there isn't much the set other than the figures.  I do like the printed waffle piece a lot - and the top of Vitruvius' staff is nice as well (it's bubble gum from a BlowPop in the movie).  The set does come with a number of small extra pieces as well - including an extra 1x1 with a hole in the middle which is a very useful piece to have!


Movie Quote Source:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/quotes

Comments