My Custom LEGO City: Preparing for a Huge Update!

Today is April 11, which means that the college year is rapidly winding down.  As it does, I'll have more time to use for my hobbies (and less time needed to spend on lesson planning, grading, etc.).  One of my major projects that I hope to complete this summer is to completely overhaul my custom LEGO City.

A couple of years ago, I bought four long tables and I figured that I'd probably never fill them up to capacity.  However, LEGO seems to have a way of multiplying around here and so, yes, I did end up filling the tables up.  That meant that I felt like I was justified in buying two more long tables...but in order to fit them into my "man cave" where my City resides, I'll need to completely reorganize everything.

As part of a "final farewell" to my old city, I thought I ought to take some photographs.  Who knows, hopefully some day I'll look back on the photos and think "how quaint, things are so much better now."

In the above photograph, the large empty space is where the rest of my amusement park used to reside.  You may recall that I already showed off a totally rebuilt "square" of the park...here's another shot of the new park.

Not too bad, it's a mix of official LEGO "bits" and some of my own custom builds.  Nothing real fancy, but I was happy with the wonderland vibe that it gives off.  It's certainly colorful!

The other major installation in my custom city is a large construction area / train loading yard.  The construction portion includes a fairly large tunnel - and a passenger train (on metal tracks) that runs above the tunnel.

I am not 100% satisfied with my tunnel, but it gets the job done for now.  One of my two freight trains has lights installed - and the lights look pretty cool as the train goes through the tunnel.

About a year or so ago, I also built one more large "square" - that being my train station.  The base of the building is on street level - but passengers have to climb up to the second story in order to load onto the passenger train.

I love the idea of a two story station, but I'm not sure my train station is as good as it could possibly be (given my relatively small number of available pieces it's not bad though).  You probably can't tell from the photograph but there are a couple of small shops that flank the station - both custom built including a bookstore that I do still like quite a bit!

The rest of the city is basically LEGO sets that I've built but have not yet taken apart and modified for my own purposes (all in due time I hope).

And that concludes the quick tour through my old city.  I have a lot of work to do to remake the city into a better metropolis - but I am excited to get started (despite the daunting amount of work required to move everything carefully)!

Stay tuned to the blog for more updates.  I also have a TON of other content that I want to get posted here (including reviews, some new sets, and some old sets from my childhood)!  I hope to do a much better job of updating the blog moving forward - so thanks for visiting!


Comments