REVIEW: Catwoman Catcycle Chase (#70902) - a LEGO Batman Movie set

Over the past few months, I've accumulated a fair number of LEGO sets that I need to sit down and build (and then review).  Today's set is one such set that I've had sitting around for quite some time.  If my memory is correct, I grabbed this set on discount from Walmart around Christmas time.

The set in question is LEGO 70902:  Catwoman Catcycle Chase - a lovely alliteration of a title if I ever saw one. 

The set comes with only 139 pieces but it makes up for that with three minifigures (Batgirl, Robin, and Catwoman).  The box contains two numbered bags of pieces, one for the catcycle and one for the jewelry store. 

Surprisingly (to me at least), the catcycle is 100% brick built, no large chassis piece or something similar like on many LEGO motorbikes.  Even better, the build of the catcycle was remarkably fun and varied for such a simple set...I think there were definitely a few new (to me) techniques used.  I'm also happy to report that the pieces with designs on them are all printed pieces on the catcycle (this is not true for the corresponding jewelry store however).

Speaking of the jewelry store, it's probably being generous to call this a proper store.  The main winder houses a display of two different gems (a diamond and a ruby presumably).  After that though, there's nothing inside.  No cash register, no drawers, no other stock, nothing.  Bare bones would be a generous way to describe the store, though I will admit that it looks pretty good from the outside looking in.

Overall, at a suggested retail price of $19.99 I can't honestly suggest the set but if you can nab it for less than it's a decent deal for three minifigures plus two small builds.  The three minifigures are nice enough (though I would say that Catwoman and Batgirl look much too similar with their fully purple outfits).  As I mentioned earlier, the catcycle is actually quite a nice little build but the jewelry store is lacking an interior entirely which is a disappointment for a $20 price point.  Even something as simple as a stool and a cash register would have helped (and it would have provided more stuff for Catwoman to rob in terms of play value).

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  8
Play Value:  9
Kid Value:  8
Adult Value:  2
Overall:  4

The set is undoubtedly fun - the cycle just begs to be raced up and down the furniture, floor, and anywhere else.  The three minifigures are all good - and it's nice to see a LEGO Batman Movie set that doesn't feature Batman as one of the minifigs.  That said, the set still doesn't feel like it's worth the asking price of $20.  If you can get this closer to $15 (Amazon has it for sale for sale right now) then I think it's worth it, especially for children since small buildings in LEGO are hard to come by (I remember being a kid and always lamenting the fact that my "city" had hardly any buildings in it).  The set also encourages creativity (accidentally I believe) but having the framework of a small building but nothing much inside it.  For adult collectors, this isn't much of a display piece...you are basically buying the minifigs and a parts pack of mostly Technic pieces.

Comments