REVIEW: LEGO Collectible Minifigures - SERIES 18 (Part 1)

Welcome to Part 1 of my LEGO Collectible Minifigure Series 18 review.  I will be working to complete my set (and my review) of the entire Series 18 over the next few days.  To start things off, I ordered a LEGO set from LEGO's own webpage and then added five of the blind minifigure packs to my order.  Those arrived a couple of days ago and that's what I get to use to start my review.  I should note that I ended up with one duplicate in my five packs so for today we are looking at only four of the seventeen minifigures in the set.

Before we get to the individual figures, let's take a look at the mini poster showing off the entire set.

From what I can tell, the individual figure rarities for Series 18 are as follows:

  • 5 - LEGO Brick Suit Guy
  • 5 - LEGO Brick Suit Girl
  • 4 - Dragon Suit Guy
  • 4 - Firework Guy 
  • 4 - Spider Suit Boy 
  • 4 - Flowerpot Girl 
  • 4 - Cowboy Costume Guy 
  • 4 - Unicorn Guy 
  • 4 - Birthday Cake Guy 
  • 3 - Elephant Girl 
  • 3 - Party Clown 
  • 3 - Birthday Party Girl 
  • 3 - Cactus Girl 
  • 3 - Cat Costume Girl 
  • 3 - Race Car Guy 
  • 3 - Birthday Party Boy
  • 1 - Police Officer

The Police Officer is unique in that he comes one-per-box.  Good luck finding that one in the wild!  Luckily, other than for nostalgic reasons I don't expect that the Police Office will be overly popular.

Spider Suit Boy

The Spider Suit Boy comes with a large spider "backpack" as well as a small, more standard black spider accessory.

He is also one of the few figures with two faces - one in which he looks simply nonplussed while the other he is showing signs of being concerned about too many spiders in his vicinity.  With four Spider Suit Boys in a box, this one should be easy to feel for - just look for lots and lots of little legs!

Birthday Cake Guy

The Birthday Cake Guy is another one of the four per box minifigs.  I didn't have to try and feel for him (since I bought the five packs sight unseen from the website) but I imagine that he's easy enough to feel for - just look for a big circular thing (making sure it has two "layers" so as to not confuse it with the flower pot (see below).

Birthday Cake Guy comes with pink pants and a frosting splattered shirt.  It's cute for the figure, but I imagine that it severely limits his uses in other scenarios.  I do expect that cake piece to show up again in a bakery set.  His goofy facial expression reminds me of Benny from the LEGO Movie - and I mean that in a good way!

Flower Pot Girl

The Flower Pot Girl is another 4-in-a-box figures, and like the Birthday Cake Guy, to find her look for something large and round.  Make sure it's not the birthday cake and you'll have her locked down.

My favorite part about this figure is her shirt with the vine on it.  I don't know where that could be useful outside of the figure but I'm sure that someone will come up with something clever for it.  It's weird enough to fit in well with the Collectible Minifigure line-up.

Cat Costume Girl

Finally, we get to one of the rarer figures (only three per case).  The Cat Costume Girl is easiest to find by looking for the common fish piece (though here it's in a new-to-me color of bright, light blue).

I appreciate the extra detailing on the girl's face (especially since most of it is covered up by the girl's cat mask).  This face could be used in a number of Halloween inspired settings - and the cat costume itself could double as a werewolf or some other creature.  I love the little paw print collar as well.

That does it for the first four minifigures that I've managed to acquire.  Truthfully, after getting these four figures I went to my local Wal*Mart on three different trips to feel for and acquire the rest of the set.  Did I manage to land the Police Officer to go along with the rest of the series?  Stay tuned to find out - and for more of my Series 18 review.

As for these four figures, I would rank them (best to worst) as follows:

  1. Flower Pot Girl
  2. Birthday Cake Guy
  3. Cat Costume Girl
  4. Spider Suit Boy

What do you think of the four I've shown off so far (or the series as a whole)?  Are you digging the party theme?  How about the orange base plates as opposed to the usual black plates?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late on these one but found a load of the harder to find ones in my local target today. Was well happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled the Spider Suit Boy out of the one bag I bought for myself. I would like it a lot better if the bottom of the spider suit had loops for his legs to plug into, so the spider didn't just flop around. That would improve that figure 100%. My eldest son really wanted one of the Brick Suit Figures, and managed to feel one out and buy it. I'd really like to find a copy of the Cactus figure for my coworker who has a cactus thing. One for myself would be cool, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment