REVIEW: LEGO 40313: LEGO Xtra - Bicycles

This past Saturday, I found myself in a mall with an official LEGO store.  Of course, I couldn't resist the urge to go shopping in the story and while there I bought a bunch of stuff (the biggest being the new LEGO Garage modular building).  However, while the big purchase might be the star of the show, today I wanted to show off one of my small purchases.  A polybag of what is essentially spare pieces.  LEGO 40313:  Bicycles from the LEGO Xtra line.

Right off the top, let me say that I love the idea of accessory packs for an affordable price.  The LEGO Xtra polybags are $3.99 each which isn't cheap but it's also not terribly expensive.  Even better, you know exactly what you are getting based on the picture on the packaging (which is great for kids).

For this little set, you end up with 21 pieces all loosely themed around Bicycles (plus a skateboard).  In total, you get two red bicycles, a lime green skateboard, 2 riding helmets, 1 baseball cap, two yellow fence pieces to be used as bike racks presumably, plus a few assorted accessories.  For me, the star of the show is actually those assorted accessories.  Included there is a new (to me) umbrella piece which I love.

You also get a printed pizza box, a printed letter, a backpack, and a yellow basket piece.

All told, this is a fun little bag of accessories which is exactly what the LEGO Xtra line is going for.  While I understand that some will be disappointed not to get any minifigures, that isn't what the Xtra line is for.  So long as you realize exactly what you are buying (this being important for both parents and kids), the assorted accessories can make any child's (or adult's) LEGO collection that much more fun and interesting.


Overall, I give the LEGO 40313:  LEGO Xtra - Bicycles set the following rating:
The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  4
Play Value:  2
Kid Value:  5
Adult Value:  5
Overall:  7

My overall rating of 7 may seem a little odd given that I spoke highly of the set during the written review and yet scored it below a 7 on every single review point.  However, a set is not always the sum of the individual review components.  In my case, I wanted this particular polybag because I wanted to get my hands on the new umbrella piece.  I also had an immediate use for the pizza box, the helmets, and the backpack piece.  I have my own custom LEGO city so I can make use of the bicycles as well. 

And that's the key.

Does the set actually contain parts or pieces that interest you?  If so, you'll find the value of the set to be higher than 5.  If you don't need or want the individual components of the polybag, then your value score will be lower than 5.  Strictly speaking, with only 21 parts for $3.99 this isn't a great deal in terms of price per part...but you do get some larger, more intricate pieces (two bicycles) and a couple of printed components so again, value is strictly in the eyes of the beholder for this little accessory pack. 

For me, it's a winner.  So much so that I actually bought a second one of these.  I also grabbed one of the other Xtra packs just for something to compare this one too...but that other pack doesn't quite have the same level of useful pieces for me (at least not at this moment).  It'll be fun to compare and contrast the two sets at some point down the road.  Stay tuned to the blog for that - and while you are here, feel free to check out many of my earlier reviews!

Comments