A Look Back: 1990 LEGO Magazine (LEGOLAND Town!)

I'm back with another installment of the 1990 LEGO Magazine retrospective.  I actually saved this magazine from back when I was a kid and, as an adult, I still get excited every time I flip through it.

As we continue through the magazine, the next stop in the pamphlet is LEGOLAND Town System.

I don't think I actually realized while growing up that LEGO considered Town, Pirate, Castle, and Space to all live in the same "system."  Luckily, in 1990 we had 66 sets including 27 sets all new for the year so we should have plenty of interesting things to look at (and reminisce about)!

I never did get that Airport set that's advertised above but I did always want it!  A couple of years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on an eBay sale for the set but in the end it went for more money than I was comfortable spending.  Kind of wish I had it now, though!

Speaking of things I wish I had, check out this display:

The LEGO Magazines from back in the day were WONDERFUL for a kid because of these amazing displays.  Oh sure, I would never even own probably 1/10th of what you see in that picture but it was fun to dream!  I did actually own that Space Shuttle set, my single largest Town set that I had as a kid.

The next two pages in the magazine actually show us what was available for sale back in 1990 including a bunch of cool new stuff (such as the already mentioned Space Shuttle).

Besides the Shuttle though, I never owned any other sets from this page.  That hospital in the top right corner was always a set I lusted after as was the Jetport and the awesome looking Metro Park  & Service Tower.  It wasn't just the big sets that I wanted though, I distinctly recall being super interested in the Utility Repair Lift truck as well since it was such a different looking vehicle from most of what you see made from LEGO.

The last page displaying Town stuff was also a lot of fun to look over mostly due to the amazing race scene displayed.  My brother actually owned the Road Rebel set but otherwise we never got much in the way of Town stuff from 1990.  If I had lots of disposable income now, I'd probably try and track down that Victory Lap Raceway set - super cool looking!

I'm not overly keen on the Town Mini-figure selection, I wish LEGO wouldn't include police officers and firefighters in "people packs" since those two Town/City sub-themes are basically represented by plenty of other sets each and every year.  I would love to get a couple of copies of that nurse minifigure however!  I could use some of those for my custom hospital that I built awhile back. 

Next time I crack open the magazine, we'll move on to Pirates!  Just wait until you see the awesome displays that LEGO cooked up for the Pirate theme - it's no wonder the theme was popular for so long!

Comments

  1. Oh man... that space shuttle set is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best. I loved it dearly as a kid and I still love it today.

      Delete

Post a Comment