REVIEW: LEGO 40305 - LEGO Brand Store

Before I created my large modular building that was a combination LEGO store, pizza parlor, and ice cream shop, I first built a couple of sets that I bought specifically to use in my custom build.  One of those sets was worth reviewing on its own merits for the blog:  LEGO 40305 - LEGO Brand Store.

The LEGO Brand Store set features 362 pieces and a pair of minifigures to go along with a two story build.  This is a promotional item that you could buy directly from LEGO branded stores last year. 

Once you rip the box open (the box is made out of the flimsier cardboard stock so you do have to actually rip the box), you are greeted with four numbered bags, a sheet of stickers, and the instructional booklet.

The build itself is fairly simple with the most time consuming part being the proper placement ofthe various stickers.  The end result is actually quite nice!

I like the masonry bricks at the bottom of the store and I also like the decorative design at the roof line.  The LEGO sign on the red 2x2 tile is actually a sticker (which is too bad) but otherwise the store looks good.

The set comes with two minifigures, one adult and one child.  I love the torso print of the adult - nice Hawaiian shirt and I'm fairly certain that I've not seen that particular torso in any other set I own.  The child's torso is a much more common hooded sweatshirt print but it's still nice. 

While I do like both of the included minifigures, do you notice something that's missing here?

Exactly.  No LEGO Store employee.  That seems like a terrible oversight by LEGO - especially since LEGO branded minifigures are fairly common (heck, even the Creator Expert Roller Coaster set had LEGO branded minifigs for some reason).

Turning the store around, you find an open back so that you can easily play with the store.

I know some people don't like the open backs but I would remind people that sets like this are designed for kids first - and kids want to play with their toys!  Adults can easily purchase a pair of sets to make a larger, closed back store or do what I did and use the pieces from this set to make something even bigger and more grand!

I do like the Pick-a-Brick wall as well as the Statue of Liberty set on the second floor.  There's no stairs or any other way to get up to the second floor but given the tight space and piece count that can be forgiven more easily than not including a LEGO Store employee!

The roof of the building is also kind of neat in that there's an oversized 2x4 brick on it. When I made my own version of a LEGO Store I actually stole this idea and put a 2x5 brick on the top of my store's roof (along with a couple of brick-built 1x1 blocks stacked on top). 

Set 40305 is actually the second official LEGO Store in my collection. I'm not ashamed to say that I stole ideas from both stores when I made my own LEGO store! 

Overall, I was pleased with the LEGO Brand Store set.  That said, my main purpose for buying the set was for the individual pieces for use in my own build.  I only built the set as designed first to get a little extra "value" out of my purchase!  It wasn't until after I built the set that decided I'd actually try to get a proper review out on my blog.

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  2
Play Value:  1
Kid Value:  2
Adult Value:  7
Overall:  6

While I personally liked this set for the parts, looking at it as the set its designed to be brings forth a number of flaws.  For starters, there's no LEGO employee so there's virtually no real play value here (hard to shop if there's no one to run the store).  Also, there's no money pieces so that hurts the shopping experience as well.  The store doesn't "do anything" either so this set seems like a kind of poor fit for kids.

On the other hand, the back of the store is left wide open (with no stairs) which implies LEGO expected kids to actually play with the set.  Adults would have preferred a closed back or at least a set of stairs to get from one level to the other.  Even with that quibble, the set does have plenty of nice parts (and useful stickers) for creating your own LEGO Store build. 

In short, I think you could pick a ton of other sets that would be better for kids but if you want to start building your own creations this is a great parts pack to pick up to help you on your way.

Comments

  1. Great review. I remember watching a video review of this set a while back and thinking I should pick one up. If I didn't have a stack of Lego sets waiting to be built, I probably would go out and buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool set! You get that new International Space Station that dropped today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this fashion my acquaintance Wesley Virgin's story launches with this SHOCKING and controversial VIDEO.

    Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he revealed hidden, "MIND CONTROL" tactics that the CIA and others used to get everything they want.

    As it turns out, these are the EXACT same methods many famous people (notably those who "became famous out of nothing") and the greatest business people used to become rich and successful.

    You've heard that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's mostly because the majority of your BRAINPOWER is UNTAPPED.

    Maybe that thought has even occurred INSIDE OF YOUR own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head 7 years back, while riding an unlicensed, beat-up garbage bucket of a car without a license and $3 on his debit card.

    "I'm very fed up with going through life paycheck to paycheck! Why can't I become successful?"

    You've been a part of those those conversations, isn't it right?

    Your success story is going to start. All you have to do is in YOURSELF.

    WATCH WESLEY SPEAK NOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. to build such a building they should have a MOC 0583 Scania 8×8 Extreme to helps with

    ReplyDelete
  5. When construction they should have a scania truck with

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choosing a LEGO shop should be easy - there are several options available. Most shops have Pick-A-Brick Walls, where customers can pick and choose the LEGO components that they want. There are also displays of popular LEGO models and exciting facts about the company. The LEGO Shop Australia , for example, has an interactive Pick & Build Wall where customers can choose their own LEGO pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment