The Kitchen Mantle #07: To Infinity and Beyond!

The previous kitchen mantle set-up was a big hit with my son so I knew I had to do something else kind of neat to capture his attention for the next time around.  Like many two-year-olds, his interests are all over the place and seem to vary day-to-day so it wasn't hard to come up with a new theme for him to enjoy:  Space shuttles!

My son is big into space shuttles lately.  We've watched YouTube videos of shuttle launches, he has a toy shuttle he loves to play with, and he even has a t-shirt with a space shuttle on it that he loves.  With the latest kitchen mantle set-up, he also has not one, not two, but three shuttles to play with!

The shuttle on the green base plate was my shuttle when I was a kid.  What can I say?  I also was obsessed with space shuttles for quite some time!  Like father, like son I guess.  The large shuttle on the left was one that I bought for myself a number of years ago when I first started getting back into LEGO and finally, the shuttle on the right is one that I bought for my son.  That will be his first shuttle once he gets a bit older and can play with it without me watching him like a hawk!

In addition to the shuttles, we have a nice selection of moon rovers to play with.  Like most little boys, my son loves trucks and the rovers were particularly fun since two of the three had articulating claws to use as well.

Most of what you see in the above shot belonged to a LEGO City Space Figures pack.  For the most part, it's full of pieces that are too loose (and too small) for a two-year-old to play with but it helped to fill out the display so I put them out.

A special photo for this little mini scene since I love the astronaut laughing his head off at his own joke using an alien head on a stick.

My son loved the space set-up but I have to admit that I tired of it since it was a lot of little bits without being overly tied together visually.  My hope is that the next kitchen mantle will have a much better presence - and yet hopefully be something that my son will really enjoy!

I'll have more on that set-up soon...right now I'm in the process of building some stuff for it.  Definitely have plans for it to be my most ambitious mantle project to date!

Comments

  1. Space is my second favorite theme right behind Star Wars. I picked up the NASA Apollo Saturn V and Apollo 11 Lunar Lander sets when they came out. The space rocket ride was free with the Lunar Lander purchase. The space shuttle on the left is really cool. I have a cheap 3-in-one that's waiting for me to build, but I wish they'd put out a $100 to $150 set modeled on the 80's and 90's shuttles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment