New LEGO 2021 City Sets Leaked!

A bunch of new LEGO City sets for 2021 have been leaked - and while I won't rehash everything on my blog I did want to showcase a few of the more interesting (to me) sets and give my thoughts.  For a complete look, here's where I first saw this information.

60304:  Road Plates  


Let's begin with what I think is the biggest news coming out of LEGO City for 2021:  a new road plate system.  This isn't "new" news in that I've heard about the change for quite some time but it's my first look at what we might expect from the new road plates.  My initial impression is completely positive - though I would like to see how curved plates will look before I can form a complete opinion on the change.  

I love the fact that a new road plate set gives you not just bits of road but also some street signs, a couple of street lights (which apparently glow in the dark now), and some foliage.  There's a lot to like here from what I can tell...though it does look like every road plate is going to be a "passing road."  

60287:  Tractor 


I missed out on the old farm sets that LEGO released a number of years ago...and now those same sets command rather hefty prices on the secondary market so I'll probably never own them.  That said, it's nice to see a return to the farm, even if it's only (so far?) with a single City set.  I know for a fact that my two-year-old son is going to love this LEGO tractor so it's an easy "must buy" for me assuming that LEGO prices it reasonably.

60291:  Modern Family House  


I'm not a huge fan of the design of this house but the set was worth mentioning anyhow because it's a City set as opposed to a Creator set.  You can see that LEGO is pushing the new road plate design pretty hard as you get a bit of roadway here (and on a few of the other 2021 City sets).  My biggest complaint about this particular set is that car...what exactly is it supposed to be anyhow?!?

60292:  Town Center 


Finally, the largest of the newly leaked City sets is the Town Center.  You can see more road plates but also a nice mix of mini builds that are a bit more unusual as opposed to the boring fire/police buildings that LEGO City is known for.  I like the recycling bins near the back of the photo and I also like the blind man with the dog walking across the street.  I don't know if that's the first instance of a blind person in LEGO form but I approve of the inclusivity.  

Overall, I think the leaked images show a fun and more vibrant LEGO City.  I do wonder if the deemphasized police/fire fighter presence was a conscious social decision or if LEGO simply was trying to expand what "city" actually means.  Either way, I think it's a solid choice that gives rise to new possibilities for LEGO collectors of all ages.  The biggest deciding factor for me is going to be price, but at least the overall designs for many of the sets are inspiring enough that I'll probably try to pick them up if the price is right.  Kudos to LEGO for this batch!

Comments

  1. I feel like if you combined two of those Modern House sets, someone could make a pretty cool custom home. Heck... maybe they could turn that weird minivan into something presentable as well. Are you buying anything this weekend? I'm thinking about picking up the NES (71374) set.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment