LEGO City Advent Calendar 2020: Days 1 - 6

 One of the fun things that LEGO produces each year is their series of Advent Calendars.  This year, LEGO has produced four such calendars - one for Star Wars, Friends, Harry Potter, and CITY.  Despite being a mathematician and self-described nerd, I can't get into Star Wars nor Harry Potter so neither of those calendars interest me (nor does the Friends calendar) but I do have my own custom LEGO City so that particular calendar is right up my alley.


This year, it's been even more fun to open a LEGO Advent Calendar because each day I have my son find the correct day and then open the door for us.  Given that the calendar covers 24 days, I figured it'd be a good idea to split things up into fourths for my posts.  Today, we get to see what came out of days #1 - 6.  


The first six builds were split evenly between minifigures, vehicles, and buildings.  Day 1 started us off with a nice build of a little LEGO cargo ship (based on a different City set no less).  A couple of days later, we added that yellow dump truck (that doesn't actually dump unfortunately) to our squad of vehicles.  My son loved both of these builds so kudos to the LEGO designers!  


For the buildings, our first building was this lovely police station...and the second building was (I think?) a gas station.  I only guess gas station since it is built using the classic Octan colors of red, green, and white but besides that there isn't much to make the building scream "gas station."  My son liked the police station but he hasn't touched the gas station (I don't blame him, it's pretty bad).  


Finally, we had two minifigures from the first six days.  As a kid, I loved getting new minifigs and I think my son is the same way.  He particular likes the police officer (and I like the police officer's sweater print)!  The accessories are kind of weird for a Christmas Advent calendar - I mean, the gray wrench is nice enough I guess but what gives with the dynamite?  Honestly, I have no idea - and I'm trying to remain spoiler free for the Advent Calendar so I haven't looked to see what else is included in the set. 

For the first six days, I'd say the calendar has been a success so far.  For me, the standouts so far are:

  • The police officer
  • The ship
  • The police station

I'm fairly neutral on the guy with the dynamite (weird accessory but nice torso print).  I do like the dump truck okay but I think it could have been built to actually dump which would have been a major improvement.  The only dud so far is the "gas station" which is so bad I'm not even 100% sure that I'm calling it the correct thing.

Hopefully in another six days or so, I'll have the next batch of mini builds to show off.  If nothing else, it gives my son something new and fun to play with each day - and it gives me a little something to build each day with him.  I call that a win-win!

Comments

  1. I'm the opposite as you... only Star Wars and HP are in my wheelhouse... although I'd consider a Marvel one if the figures were cool. I liked the Vader with ugly sweater, but not enough to justify the price. I was able to use my friend's 40% off discount to grab the Harry Potter advent calendar... otherwise I would have passed on that one as well this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment