Dilophosaurus Outpost Attack: LEGO 75931 - REVIEW

It's been awhile since I've had a new LEGO Jurassic World set to build but the drought is over now! 


Today, I've got the Dilophosaurus Outpost Attack (LEGO 75931) set to review for you.  This set comes with 289 pieces including three minifigures and two dinosaurs (the set's namesake Dilophosaurus plus a baby raptor).  There is also a small sheet of stickers but for once the stickers all add to the final model (and there aren't many so I didn't mind the stickers at all).


The set is essentially split up into two separate builds.  In the first set of bags, you build the Dilophosaurus plus the main control tower and gates of the outpost.  This portion of the set also includes the generically named "Tracker" minifigure.  The second half of the build consists of the portion of the outpost with the crane plus the other two minifigures (both generic "guards" though at least one is male while the other is female).  While the set divides up cleanly, LEGO only included a single instruction manual so you can't actually build the two halves simultaneously with a friend (or perhaps a child).  Sort of a missed opportunity there!  Generally I dislike instructions that are split into multiple books but it makes sense for sets like this that you build in a rather modular fashion.


Turning our attention to the set itself, let's start with the main part of the build - the control tower and main gate.  The control tower features two levels - the top level serves as a lookout post (complete with binoculars) while the lower portion serves as some sort of tiny computer room (complete with coffee mug).  The gate consists of two doors that swing open as well as a couple of lights at the top.  That said, you may notice those two red technic pieces behind the gate...what are they for?  To see, we need to flip this portion of the build around to the other side.


Yep, it's a pair of play features!  The two doors on the gate can both be "blasted" off by pressing on those plungers.  In addition, the front of the guard tower can also be popped off by pressing on the red cone piece below the female guard.  I guess the idea here is that the Dilophosaurus is busting out of the cage but I can't help but think that perhaps these features would have been better served for a cage holding a bigger dinosaur!


The final bit of the set is the other section of fencing.  This particular section is pretty plain other than the large crane (which I guess is used to feed the dinosaur)?  I should note here that it's nice that LEGO not only included a female guard but they also made one of the male guards a person of color.   

As someone who wants to eventually build a "proper" Jurassic Park on my LEGO table, I actually love the simple fence section above.  In fact, if LEGO would have released a "fence pack" with six or eight of those modules, I'd probably buy a couple since they are so clean and classic looking!  



The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  9
Play Value:  10
Kid Value:  9
Adult Value:  6
Overall:  9

This is a simple little set but it's packed full of fun play features (who doesn't like exploding things?) plus a pretty sweet dinosaur.  The crane adds a bit more playability/story telling to the set and getting three guards is nice as well.  In fact, I think it's a positive that this Jurassic World set doesn't include an Owen minifigure...we have enough Owen figures!  Getting generic guards in multiple is actually much more preferred for those of us who want to build a larger Jurassic World scene!  

As a whole, this set was a pleasant surprise for me.  It was fun to build, fun to play with (my son loved it), and it even looks pretty good as a display piece.  I'm happy to get more fence pieces for my future Jurassic Park layout and, of course, getting another dinosaur is always nice too!  All told, a great set that I'd highly recommend if you can find it at regular retail pricing!

Comments

  1. Cool set. I've been debating on buying three of the Lego Creator castles (31120) and building a super castle since Costco has them on their website. I probably won't since I don't have the free time. But I think the same idea can be applied to this set. If you bought three or four of these you could make a pretty cool Jurassic Park MOC. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one copy of the Creator castle but I haven't had time to build it yet. It's a 3-in-1 so having three copies would give you a lot of different options! As for this set, yeah, I think having multiple copies would be a good thing - someday (soon?) I hope to start building my own Jurassic World layout on my train table - just got to clear out a full village first!

      Delete

Post a Comment