Some of my Latest Large LEGO Builds!

I hopelessly behind on reviewing some of the various LEGO sets that I've built over the past several months so rather than staying behind I thought I'd give a quick rundown of some of the bigger sets I built along with some of my thoughts about each set.

We'll begin with The Mighty Bowser (#71411).


Of the four big sets that I've built in the last 6 months or so, this one is one of my two favorites (the other favorite will be shown shortly).  The Mighty Bowser is a fully posable (and huge) figure that even shoots a fireball using a hidden mechanism.  My son also loved this one as he found Bowser to be great fun to play with - and I am happy to report that other than the tip of Bowser's nose which fell off repeatedly, the Mighty Bowser held up to play from my four-and-a-half year old son!

Next up, the other major Mario set - Super Mario 64 Question Block (#71395).


This particular set opens up to reveal three different classic levels from Super Mario 64 - it's a set that is clearly designed for my age bracket (and it works, I love it)!  Unfortunately, this one doesn't display nearly as well since in its closed form its basically nothing more than a big yellow box.  Still, fun set to build - though between the two Mario sets featured today I'd pick the Bowser ten times out of ten.

My third big set from the past several months was this Motorized Lighthouse (#21335).  


The lighthouse features a working, rotating light at the top using a LEGO version of a Fresnel lens.  Definitely a cool build and a fairly imposing structure when fully assembled.  This was from the LEGO Ideas line and I have to say, most of the LEGO Ideas sets that I've built have been great!  

Finally, we end with the set I built last weekend:  Galaxy Explorer (#10497).


This set celebrates LEGO's past with a reimagining of their Galaxy Explorer set from 1979.  This is another set aimed squarely at my demographic, even though I personally wasn't born in 1979 I still hold a lot of deep love for Classic Space stuff (I was more of a Space Police / MTron / Blacktron / Ice Planet kind of guy, but still.  This was a much more interesting build that I was expecting...and the final ship is much larger than I was expecting!

Overall, four big LEGO sets and all four were great in their own way!  Probably worth mentioning that my son enjoyed all four sets as well (though I think the Mighty Bowser and the Motorized Lighthouse) were by far his two favorites!  

Comments

  1. That lighthouse is fantastic! When it first came out, I watched a bunch of review videos on YouTube. It's one of those sets I should buy, because I know I'll want it in 15 years (and won't be able to afford it) when I hopefully have more space for things like that. But the bottom line is I just don't have the space. If I did... I would buy the SW UCS AT-AT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one saving grace when it comes to LEGO is that I don't have any interest in Star Wars - so I can safely ignore all those sets (and the expensive prices that come with the SW license)! As for the Lighthouse, it's great - though definitely expensive due to the included motor. The beam of light really works quite well, especially for a LEGO model (and the build is fun too)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment