LEGO Super Mario Collectible Figures: Series 5 REVIEW (the Second Half)

My son and I finally got around to building the last four LEGO Super Mario Collectible Figures from Series 5 so now it's time for our review.  If you missed the first half of the series 5 review, go check it out here.  Now, on to the second half of the series!

Magikoopa:


Let's start with the worst figure of the four today.  I always thought of Magikoopa (aka Kamek) as wearing blue robes but for some reason LEGO made the Magikoopa in Series 5 wear red instead.  I think this is a big miss as the character isn't all what I remember Magikoopa looking like (including the propeller on his head?!).  Here's what Magikoopa should look like courtesy of the Super Mario Wiki.


There is a red version of Magikoopa but he too doesn't look much (if at all) like the LEGO version in Series 5.  


This figure is one that I'd call a complete failure.  The character should definitely have had a wand and should not have had the propeller on its head.  

Blue Shy Guy:


While Magikoops was a disappointment, Blue Shy Guy more than makes up for it as he's a great looking figure that is quite faithful to the original Nintendo design.  I even love his little raft over the poisonous swamp that he gets for a base.  

Hammer Bro:


When I looked at the original checklist for Series 5, the Hammer Bro figure was the one that I was immediately drawn to.  I'm happy to report that now that I've built him he's even better than I could have hoped for!  His hammer is perfect in LEGO form and that giant goblet of fire near him is definitely evocative of many Bowser Castle battles.  

Red Yoshi:


There's absolutely nothing wrong with this figure at all, he's a perfect LEGO recreation of Red Yoshi.  My only beef with this one is that LEGO Yoshi figures are included in many different LEGO Super Mario sets as it is, we didn't need yet another one in the collectible figure lineup.  I guess if you don't collect the main sets it's nice to have a full-grown Yoshi here (Series 5 also has a Baby Yoshi figure).  

And that does it for Series 5...but what's a review without a final score or ranking?  Rather than give each figure it's own score, I'm going to rank them from worst-to-best as I see them.



#8.  Magikoopa:  Ugly figure, not true to source material, boring to look at, boring base
#7.  Baby Yoshi:  I can't get past the dopey expression, good base though



#6:  Red Yoshi:  Perfectly fine figure but redundant if you get other LEGO Mario sets, wasted slot
#5:  Waddlewing:  Great base but probably the most fragile figure of the bunch



#4:  Purple Toad:  You always need more Toads for rescuing, nice winking face
#3:  Nabbit:  A fun figure and certainly a lesser known enemy, decent base



#2:  Blue Shy Guy:  Great base, great figure, love all the plant pieces too
#1:  Hammer Bro:  Perfect recreation of source material in LEGO form, nice base too

And there you have it, my definitive rankings for Series 5!

Comments

  1. Yeah... Hammer Bro and Blue Shy Guy are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A detective greece must be adaptable and able to work under pressure. They must be able to adjust their strategies and approach based on the circumstances of each case and work tirelessly until the mystery is solved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment