REVIEW: Funwhole (Lumibricks) - Gas Station - #F9065

Today, I have the first large set that I've purchased from Lumibrick's Road Trip series of sets.  I have already reviewed a small set from this line (one that actually goes with today's set)!  Let's take a closer look at Lumibricks/Funwhole set #F9065:  Gas Station.

Note:  If you decide to give Lumibricks a try, please consider using my affiliate link.  This particular set was purchased by me and is not sponsored in any way.  For more Lumibricks content (plus board games), check out my Instagram account.


The Gas Station set contains just over 1600 pieces and has a suggested retail price of $94.99 USD.  The set comes with a large gas station (actually a small garage and a small convenience store), plus two gas pumps, a large sign, a car, and a motorcycle, along with three minifigures.


I think there should have been a mechanic minifig (maybe the guy in blue is supposed to be that?) and a store worker with a branded shirt.  The lady in the dress is fine, but she feels out of place in this particular set.


Unfortunately, this isn't my first Lumibricks set that came with a deformed piece.  I know Lumibricks is competing with the likes of LEGO, and having deformed pieces in a set certainly isn't going to endear them to the masses.  That said, I have pretty much converted almost entirely to collecting Lumibricks and no more LEGO, so the company is doing something right!



The Gas Station set is sure to be somewhat divisive in the brick-building community.  On the one hand, the completed set looks great.  I love the design, the colors, the angle of the hinged overhead roof, and, of course, all of the lights.  On the other hand, the set is much more fragile than it ought to be, so much so that it's basically impossible to play with it without parts of the set breaking.  My son quickly gave up playing with this set for that very reason (plus he hated the fact that the car couldn't go over even the tiniest of bumps)!

This was a difficult set to put a final rating on.  Based on looks alone, it's a five-star set, but given all of the attributes that tend to be important to me (and my son), I had to lower the rating quite a bit.  This set is, unfortunately, a perfect example of how Lumibricks still has some catching up to do with the LEGO Company when it comes to making beautiful sets that can also be played with.




As you can see from some of the extra photos, the set does pack in a lot of neat little details (including a ton of tools scattered about the set).  I did enjoy the set, but there's just enough holding it back that I can't recommend it for everyone.  That said, if you are more into displaying your sets as opposed to playing with them, then this one does come highly recommended!

Note:  If you decide to give Lumibricks a try, please consider using my affiliate link.  This particular set was purchased by me and is not sponsored in any way.

Comments