LEGO 40123: Thanksgiving Feast - REVIEW

It seemed appropriate to me to review LEGO 40123:  Thanksgiving Feast on Thanksgiving Day (at least here in the United States)!  This set contains 158 pieces and two minifigures.

The minifigures are both grey-haired, presumable a pair of grandparents.  The set itself is a small vignette that contains a kitchen scene (complete with a serving cart on wheels).  It's not the most exciting play set - but if you think of it as a parts pack it's a really nice set.

You see, you get a full turkey, a pie, a red apple, and a pumpkin piece (all of which are nice and quite valuable).  You also get a green bottle as well as a couple of clear glasses.  However, the big surprise to me was the backside of the model.

LEGO actually decorated the backside as well - complete with a nice creeping plant and a pitchfork!

So is the model worth the purchase?

For me, the answer is yes.  You get enough unique pieces (and useful pieces) that you could theoretically take the set down and piece it out.  Of course, I find it to be a cute enough set that I'll probably be leaving my set in tact and putting it on display every November.

My complaints for the set are very minor - mostly the fact that the red apple is huge (and doesn't connect to anything in the bowl so it falls out almost every time I move the model around).  I also don't like the clear 1x1x2 round brick that LEGO used to hold the turkey on the cart.  That, too, falls off a lot.  And while the pie looks good underneath the cart, it's easy to miss that part of the dinner when someone (non-LEGO fan) looks at the model which is too bad.

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  5
Play Value:  5
Kid Value:  9
Adult Value:  10
Overall:  10

This isn't a set designed for play (though the cart does have wheels and you get a pitchfork so you can use your imagination a bit).  It is, however, pretty much perfect for what it is designed for which is to be a charming holiday decoration.  I give my wholehearted recommendation for the set as long as you realize its a decorative set and not a play set!

Comments