REVIEW: LEGO 850617: LEGO City Police Accessory Set - REVIEW

Last month, I had a birthday and with that came a large assortment of LEGO sets.  One of the sets that I was given was set 850617:  LEGO City Police Accessory Set.  This is a simple set (34 pieces) that's basically a collection of four minifigures, a dog, and some accessories.


The question is, how does the set stack up for someone who owns quite a bit of City stuff already?  The four minifigures are all quite nice - I especially like that one of the four officers is a female since female minifigs are a bit rarer.  However, it should be noted that all four minifigures have the exact same torso (and legs) pieces so really the only difference is the face, the headpiece (hair or helmet), and the accessories.

Speaking of accessories, you get quite a few including two megaphones, 2 walkie talkies, 2 pairs of handcuffs, a pair of binoculars, 2 flashlights, and a metal detector.  The metal detector is an odd choice but I suppose it provides something rather unique to this set.  You also get a dog (with a dog bone) and a small, one-piece barrier for official police work.

For me, I'd say this is a solid set to pick up if you need to expand your police force.  The four figures all have a bit of a SWAT team vibe to them, perhaps it is the dark helmets with visors that really hammer that feeling home.  The one thing that I didn't like is that the minifigures all felt cheaper than those you'd get in a "regular" set.  The hair pieces in particular seemed extra loose fitting...something to keep in mind if you are thinking of buying this set for small children I guess.

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  5
Play Value: 5
Kid Value:  7
Adult Value:  4
Overall:  5

I would be remiss if I didn't note that you don't actually get anything in this set for the police officers to do.  There are no criminals (or even innocent townsfolk to interrogate for fun).  I think had one of the two helmeted officers been a criminal instead that this set would have had much more play value.  As it is, it's a solid set to bolster your police department but that's pretty much it.  I like though since one of my other birthday presents was a new police station!

Comments

  1. I just looked at Lego shop at home and both this and the fireman set are only about $10.50. That's not too shabby for 4 minifigures. I do wish that Lego would do more of this, especially with there other non-licensed themes like Pirates, Castle, Ultra Agents, etc. Hell I wish they could do this for their licensed themes too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment