REVIEW: Build My City Accessory Set (LEGO 40170)

Not all that long ago, I found myself in my local* LEGO brand store and happened to spot the LEGO 40170:  Build My City Accessory Set.  I had never seen the set before, so I added it to my pile of purchases without giving it a lot of thought (or a careful review).

*local being over 2 hours away

Now though, it's time to take a more careful look at this 100 piece set that retails for $9.99.  Is it worth the ten spot or should you save your money for something else?  

Since I always offer up numerical scores, let's do that here as well (not done in the video):

The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  2
Play Value:  4
Kid Value:  5
Adult Value:  4
Overall:  4
The extras included in the set.

This is a tough set to score in the sense that it is clearly marketed as an accessory set.  With no included minifigures, it's tough to say that this set is fun in any meaningful way.  There is a frog, some water elements, and plants so I guess you could play with that if this were the only set you owned.  The value in the set is clearly for those who already own other LEGO City sets.  Even with that in mind, I think LEGO could have done a better job of including more value in the set.  I'm not mad that I bought the set, but I don't think I'll be looking to add another copy of this set to my collection.  I do, however, want to encourage LEGO to keep making City accessory packs every so often - as a kid I used to love these (and while this one isn't the best in my eyes, I know that LEGO can do other similar sets that I'll love).

Comments