REVIEW: LEGO 40341: LEGO Xtra - Sea Accessories

About this time last month, I showed off the first of two recent LEGO Xtra Accessory packs that I bought.  Today, it's finally time to take a look at the second Xtra polybag:  LEGO 40341:  Sea Accessories.

Much like the Bicycles LEGO Xtra polybag, the Sea Accessories set is full of various items that could be used within your existing LEGO set-up.  I must admit that when I first saw this polybag, I wasn't nearly as interested in it because it looked like a "Pirate's Accessories" set at a time where LEGO isn't actually making Pirate sets.  I did end up grabbing one anyhow though, I guess curiosity got the best of me (well, that and I have an actually plan for a number of the pieces in the set as it turns out).

The packaging promises 24 pieces in the polybag which is actually three more pieces than the Bicycle pack that I looked at before.  However, judging the value of the two sets purely on the number of pieces would be misleading since this set has many more small pieces in it, more on that in a moment.

First though, let's look at the biggest piece of plastic - the shark!  In addition to the shark, this set also comes with a few other animals including a light blue fish, a clam, and a multicolored parrot which I adore.

The rest of the pack's contents can sort of be broken down into two sets:  Pirate accessories and City-folk accessories.  The City-folk accessories include three (?!) green flippers, one oar, and some small pieces to create a pair of brick-built harpoons and a single orange buoy.  Finally, you also get a lime green surfboard.

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out the ratios here.  Why three flippers but only one oar?  I like the surfboard just fine, but couldn't we have gotten the pieces to make two buoys rather than two harpoons?  Heck, I don't even like the harpoon build all that much - but at least the barrel is a useful piece I guess.

The last batch of pieces belong to Pirates - and like many LEGO fans, I can only hope that this is a subtle nod or tease that yes, LEGO will return to classic Pirate sets again soon!  The treasure chest is nice, as are the blue gems.  I'm someone that is old enough to remember the old LEGO chrome gold pieces with the different denominations (10, 20, 30, and 40).  However, I can see that those pieces are probably gone with history so getting some gems is I guess the next best thing.  I threw the binoculars in with the Pirate stuff though I guess you could just as easily argue it belonged with the City-folk accessories.  And finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on the only printed* piece in the entire set - that lovely pirate map (which I really do like a lot)! 

*technically the eyes on the shark are also printed

You do get a few extra pieces which I included in the above photograph as well.  The white 1x1 round piece is one of the newer designs with the hole in the middle.  Otherwise, not much else to say about the extras.

Overall, I give the LEGO 40341:  LEGO Xtra - Sea Accessories set the following rating:
The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  5
Play Value:  3
Kid Value:  6
Adult Value:  2
Overall:  4

For kids, I think that this set is superior to the other LEGO Xtra set that I looked at.  At least here you get some animals which make for fun play.  The shark piece is particular nice and I remember loving having sharks for my oceans back when I played with LEGO as a kid!  On the other hand, I think this set is inferior to the other Xtra polybag when looked at from an adult perspective.  Unless you really want to build your own Pirate or maritime LEGO layout/theme, there isn't all that much here that will be useful to you.  All that said, I do enjoy that LEGO is putting accessory packs back out - and these two are definitely not the last two that I'll buy (spoiler alert, I've acquired a couple of other Xtra packs that I'll have to show off and review in the near future)!  For now though, I think I might just go try and find a spot to put that lovely shark in my LEGO city display!

Comments

  1. The oar/surfboard combo might be for paddleboarding/paddle surfing, and the three flippers might just be because they are small and easily lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you are probably right about the paddleboard. Still, I wish that LEGO would have included that second oar!

      Delete
  2. Hello everyone, I saw comments from people who already got their loan from Jackson Walton Loan Company, honestly i thought it was a scam , and then I decided to apply under their recommendations and just few days ago I confirmed in my own personal bank account a total amount of $29,000 which I requested for business. This is really a great news and i am so happy, I am advising everyone who needs real loan and sure to pay back to apply through their email (Text or Call ) +1-586-331-5557) (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com) They are capable of given you your loan thanks.

    Contact Mr Jackson.
    E-mail: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Fax: +1-586-331-5557

    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment