REVIEW: LEGO 40311: LEGO Xtra - Traffic Lights

Somehow, the month of May came and went without me writing a single post here at Playing with Bricks.  Luckily, June is getting off to a much better start with a post early in the month!  I actually have quite a few different LEGO sets to build and review - it's more a matter of finding the time to actually sit down and build stuff!

Anyhow, today we take a look at yet another polybag from the LEGO Xtra line of sets:  LEGO 40311:  Traffic Lights.

This polybag officially contains 46 pieces plus a (very) small instruction sheet.  There are no printed pieces (and no stickers) in the set. 

Out of the 50 or so pieces (counting the extras), there are really only four things to build in the bag - all of which are traffic lights. 

The first two traffic lights are plain while the final two traffic lights share the exact same design but add on a "push to walk" button.  The simpler lights take 8 pieces to build while the slightly more detailed lights take 10 pieces.  That's 36 of the 46 official pieces right there.

The rest of the bag contains some random bits that seemingly have very little to do with traffic lights.

 You get a red wheelbarrow, a green trashcan, a broom, and then some trash to sweep up (banana, bottle, a bone, and a pair of leaves).  I find plenty of uses for wheelbarrows in my own city layout (though I do wish there were dark green wheelbarrows to go with all of the red ones that I own).  The other accessories are fine additions to virtually any LEGO City as well (even if they don't go with the traffic lights in any meaningful way).

Overall, I give the LEGO 40311:  LEGO Xtra - Traffic Lights set the following rating:
The Bottom Line (out of 10):
Fun:  1
Play Value:  1
Kid Value:  2
Adult Value:  6
Overall:  3

I have to be honest, this polybag was one that I knew I "needed" for my set but the included accessories didn't spark a lot of interest for me.  Sure, the pieces are all useful in their own way but there isn't anything overly special here to get excited about.  I think the street light Xtra polybag is a much better value - at least there the extra accessories were a little bit better themed (and certainly more interesting).  All that being said, there's a good chance I'll pick up a few more of the Traffic Light polybags simply to get a whole bunch of matching traffic lights for my custom city.  I haven't quite gotten to the point of all the fine-tune decorating of the city streets, but when I do I know I'll be happy to have a bunch of traffic lights pre-built and ready to go up in the city!

Comments