A Look Back: 1990 LEGO Magazine (Thar's Pirates Ahead, Matey!)

I'm back with another look at the 1990 LEGO Magazine. 

We last left off looking at the LEGOLAND Town portion of the magazine.  Now, we turn our attention to the scallywags of the sea:  the Pirates!

The Pirate System as it was called back in 1990 actually consisted of two factions, the Pirates and the Soldiers.  For my money, the soldiers were essentially the Englishmen while the Pirates were the real heroes of the sea! 

As I've said before on the blog, my brother was actually much more into the Pirate subtheme than I was back when we were kids.  I had my fair share of Pirate sets but nothing from this exact era.  My brother, on the other hand, owned the Caribbean Clipper and the Harbor Sentry as a kid.

Today, I think my favorite set on the page is a toss-up between the Forbidden Island set and the Eldorado Fortress.  I actually bought the Forbidden Island set a few years ago for myself so at this point I can say that I do own one of the vintage Pirate sets!  I also own most of the pieces for the Sabre Island but my set isn't quite complete.  As a kid, I remember thinking that the little Castaway's Raft was kind of cool too so it wasn't just the giant sets that interested me!

Speaking of things that interested me, take another look at that amazing Pirate scene in the magazine.  How could you not want Pirate sets when you see that?!

Next time around when we return to the magazine, we'll look at my favorite subtheme as a kid:  Castle! 

Comments

  1. If I were a kid, I'd be all over these sets. I vaguely remember playing with Playmobile pirates as a kid... or at least wanting them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment