A Look Back: 1990 LEGO Magazine (Space - introducing Magnets!)

In my previous post where I showed off more of the 1990 LEGO Magazine, I mentioned that the Castle theme was my favorite as a child.  Well, today we get to look at my second favorite theme as a child:  Space.

One quick glance at the first (of four!) Space pages will show you why I was also enamored with the space sets.  Magnets, monorails, you name it, Space had it.

Speaking of magnets, in 1990 it was those magnets that were the star attraction of LEGO's space effort.  The newly introduced MTron faction used magnets in most of their sets.

Today, the MTron are probably know both for their magnet use but also for their trans green-yellow windshields and antennas to go with a red and black color scheme.  It's a striking look, I have to admit!

Moving on to the actual sets of the era, we begin with the MTron and the Space Police.

For me, I distinctly remember wanting the large Mega Core Magnetizer set from MTron along with the Celestial Forager.  The only set I ever actually owned from the faction was the Vector Detector but at least it did have a magnet (it's the smallest of the MTron sets in this series to include a magnet).

As for the Space Police, I did own the tiny Message Decoder but honestly I loved the little car!  As I recall, it was the slightly larger Galactic Peace Keeper that I kept my eye on even more so than the much larger sets.  I don't have any memory of actually seeing that set on a store shelf though so I never did acquire it.

The other two factions at the time were the Futuron (with the amazing monorail that every kid probably wanted) and apparently the Blacktron were still barely around.  I didn't own any of the featured sets on this page but my brother owned both the Space Mini Figures set and the Special Offer set on the far right of the page.  You'll notice that in that multipack that there is another sweet Forestman set.  I was always a bit jealous of him for having that set!

And just like that, we are finally through the entire LEGOLAND portion of the magazine.  That said, there's still some good stuff to come including Boats, Trains, and Model Team.  As a spoiler, one of those three themes features the largest set that I ever owned as a kid (and it's in this particular magazine).  You'll have to wait to find out what that is but as an additional hint I'll tell you that I still own the set and even better, I still have the set built and on display in my man cave!

Comments

  1. This is how my friend Wesley Virgin's autobiography starts with this shocking and controversial VIDEO.

    As a matter of fact, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he unveiled hidden, "mind control" tactics that the CIA and others used to get whatever they want.

    These are the same SECRETS many celebrities (notably those who "became famous out of nowhere") and the greatest business people used to become rich and famous.

    You've heard that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's mostly because the majority of your brain's power is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe that expression has even taken place INSIDE OF YOUR very own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around 7 years back, while driving an unlicensed, beat-up trash bucket of a car without a license and in his bank account.

    "I'm very fed up with living paycheck to paycheck! When will I become successful?"

    You took part in those types of thoughts, ain't it so?

    Your very own success story is going to happen. You just need to take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

    Watch Wesley Virgin's Video Now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment