A Look Back: 1990 LEGO Magazine (Boats, Trains, and Automobiles)

It's time to return to my old 1990 LEGO Magazine.

The last time I showed a few pages from the Space section.  Today, we move on to some of the more expensive sets in the magazine (even though prices aren't actually listed for most sets within the magazine).

First up, a page of boats and trains.

I probably shouldn't make either of those plural since we actually only get one boat specifically pictured as a set and one train specifically pictured as a set.  It's worth noting that the fire boat set number and the police boat set number are given despite neither boat getting its own little cutout on the page.

I never had a 4.5 V train as a kid and I've never bought one as an adult collector either.  I kind of like the look of the train (and train cars) but I don't think I need yet another train "type" in my layout!

While I may not have owned any of the sets on the Boats and Trains page, I did own the main attraction on the Model Team page!

That Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck still sits on a shelf in my man cave to this day.  I remember getting that set as a kid - it was the biggest LEGO set I ever got as a gift as a kid and I loved that thing!  I kind of would like to build that Highway Rig set some day, that one looks to be the next best on the page to me.

Notice in the write-up (if you can read my scan) that "even dad may want to join in on building these great models."  I guess even back in 1990 LEGO was trying (at least a little bit) to appeal to adult collectors!

According to Brickset, there were a total of 16 different Model Team sets in the line's existence.  We see four of them on this page and I have to say, I do think the set that I got as a gift is the best of the entire lot!

At this point, we've almost made it to the end of the magazine but there's still one more major theme to take a look at:  Technic!  That'll be what we examine in the next magazine post.

Comments

  1. Wow. Those trucks look fantastic! These totally went under the radar for me (maybe because I was a senior in high school when they were released), but when I was younger I loved semi trucks. My brother worked at International Harvester... and now is a sales manager at Ford, so I grew up around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't vouch for the rest of the models but the Whirl N' Wheel is one of the coolest sets that I own to this day (it was the coolest set I owned as a kid)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment