Minifigure Museum: Librarian (Series 10)

I'm back with another minifigure from Series 10 to show off as part of my Minifigure Museum series.  Series 10 of the LEGO Collectible Minifigures line was released way back in 2013.  Series 10 contained 16 minifigures as part of its main release but the series is probably best known for it super rare 17th minifigure called "Mr. Gold."  With only 5000 copies of Mr. Gold released, I'll probably never own one for myself but at least I can try and collect the other 16 regular minifigures from the series (as of this post I'm still missing Bumblebee Girl, Revolutionary Soldier, and the aforementioned Mr. Gold).

One of the figures that I do own from Series 10 is the Librarian, the subject of today's post.


The Librarian comes with comes with two accessories - a white mug with "Shhh!" printed on it and a book with the printed title "Oranges and Peaches."  The story behind the book's title (pun intended) is that it's a reference to a story about a library patron asking for a non-existent book of the same name.  Eventually, the librarian figures out that the person is really looking for Darwin's "Origin of Species."  Kind of a goofy reference, but I like it!

As you can see on the included pack insert, the Librarian is one of several minifigures in Series 10 that I would consider "city" figures (skydiver, painter, grandfather, motorcycle mechanic, sea captain, trendsetter, and even the baseball player would all fit into a LEGO city layout).


The Librarian's outfit is a sweater vest over top a button-up shirt.  There is some printing on the legs as well, though I'm not sure if it's supposed to represent some sort of skirt, a bit of yellow leg showing, and then high boots or if it's just random printing.  The librarian's face has her (of course) bespectacled with a semi-stern look.  


There is no second face on the minifigure, nor is there any back printing on the minifigure's torso or pants.  This is also a good time to mention that I hate that book element piece that LEGO made - a minifigure cannot hold the piece unless you open the book and wedge one half of it into the minifigure's hand.  It's a loose connection that makes it way too easy to lose the book if you are moving the minifigure around (for example, to take photos of it for a blog entry).  There are also no studs (or anti-studs) on the book piece so there's no way to attach it to anything!


Overall, the Librarian is sort of a perfect representation of it's job title - kind of dull and boring.  I like the printed mug but a mug piece overall isn't an exciting accessory and the Librarian itself, while fine looking, is also rather plain and uninteresting.  The figure would make for an excellent addition to a LEGO city display if it were simply walking down the street - you'd probably glance right over the minifig and focus on other elements of the display (much like a real-life Librarian I guess).


That all said, I do appreciate LEGO using the Collectible Minifigure line to give us minifigs in less glamorous jobs than the usual firefighter/police officer stuff that we get in the classic LEGO City line.  And, if I'm being honest, I could use another copy or two of the Librarian to use as bookstore employees for my personal custom LEGO city layout!

Comments

  1. Cool figure. I like the mug. Wasn't familiar with the Mr. Gold figure. Gonna guess these sell for big money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment