2023 LEGO City Advent Calendar: Day 08

It's finally Friday, and let me tell you, the week before Final Exam week is always an exhausting one for me.  Luckily, the week is now officially over, my students all know what they need to study, and I don't have a pile of exams to grade (yet).  



Today's build is this little light which looks pretty good on its own:



Unfortunately, the proportions are all wonky if you stand up a minifigure next to it.  



The lamp is too short to be a proper street light but too tall to be some sort of garden or walkway light.  I think LEGO should have sprung for a couple more pieces to make the light a bit taller and then we'd have a winning build (also, how about adding a green wreath or at least some bits of snow to make the light look Christmas-y?).  

Overall, this is one of those filler builds.  It's not offensive but it's not anything to get overly excited about either.  I've been opening my Advent Calendar with my five-year-old son this year and while he enjoyed building the light he immediately moved on to some of the earlier builds from the month to start playing with.  As far as ratings go, I oscillate between a 2 and a 3 but I think I'm going to go with a 2/5 (if only LEGO had added a few more of those cone pieces to make the light a few bricks taller).

Overall score this year:  30/40 thus far.  

Through 1/3 of the Advent Calendar, we are sitting at a decent 75% success rate in terms of my ratings.  We've also now discovered all but one or two of the mini builds that's spoiled on the front of the calendar (the minifigures are also spoiled but that's to be expected).  

Comments

  1. At first glance, I liked the build... but you're right. It needs at least two more cones to get the height right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a nice looking build but it needed a couple more pieces to make it the proper height. Would have been a small change but completely affect my view on the day's build!

      Delete

Post a Comment