REVIEW: LEGO Collectible Minifigures - SERIES 18 (Part 2)

Previously, I started reviewing the 18th Series of the LEGO Collectible Minifigures (link here).  After my initial purchase (blind purchase direct from LEGO's website), I made a trip to my local Wal-Mart in order to find some more minifigs.  Since I knew I needed a ton of the figures still, I didn't bother trying to feel the packs.  Instead, I grabbed a handful of 10 packs and left the store.

Out of the ten packs, I ended up with only five new (to me) figures.  The good news is that brings my total number up to nine - but still quite a ways to go to collect the full series of 17 minifigs.  For today's post, let's take a look at the next five minifigures to enter my collection...and at the end I'll try to rank them along with the four that I already showed off in a previous post.

LEGO Brick Suit Guy

Not surprisingly, if you simply grab a bunch of packs without doing any sort of pack searching, you'll probably end up with at least one of the LEGO Suit characters.  These are by far the most common in the box (5 copies of each figure, the only figures that appear that often in a case).

The LEGO Brick Suit Guy has a red 2x3 brick torso (it's a modified torso NOT a "cover up" like most of the other costumed figures in the series).  He also comes with a 1x1 blue plate which is a rather lame accessory but it works alright for the figure.

LEGO Brick Suit Girl

The Brick Suit Girl is basically the same as the Brick Suit Guy except A) it's a female and B) she gets a blue torso and a red 1x1 plate.

The two figures can be stuck together - their brick torsos actually do have clutch power.  I went with the least risque pose possible though I'm sure that others aren't going to be quite so family friendly when playing with these figures.

If you are interested in finding either of the Brick Suit figures, it's super easy to feel for the brick torso piece (it's like a thick brick and you can't miss the studs).  The only challenge is determining whether you found the male or the female version - and to tell the difference your only hope is to then feel for the hair piece (you can feel the color difference of the torso or 1x1 plate in a blind bag)!

Cowboy Costume Guy

The Cowboy Costume Guy is pretty cool - his horse costume is definitely spot on.  The costume actually comes with two parts - the horse's head is attached to the minifigure's neck while the tail piece goes around the minifigure's waist.  The Cowboy is seeded 4 copies per case so he's not overly tough to find.

Trying to feel for the Cowboy guy is actually a bit trickier than it ought to be due to the abundance of costume pieces.  I think your best bet would be to find the cowboy hat - it's a common enough element and it feels substantially different than pretty much every other element in the series.

Unicorn Guy

I applaud LEGO for making the Unicorn figure a male this time around - and I love the new printed shield piece.  Back in my early 90s Castle loving days, I would have been ecstatic to add another different shield to my various armies (I'd probably want four or five copies of this figure for the shield alone back then)!  For today's kids, acquiring a bunch of the Unicorn guy should be easy enough since there are four in each case.

As far as the figure itself goes, it's fairly close to a previous LEGO Unicorn collectible minifigure (only blue instead of white).  At least this one comes with some accessories (unlike the Unicorn Girl from Series 13).

To feel for the Unicorn Guy, I'd recommend either finding the long sword or the shield piece.  With no other weapons to speak of in the Series, both of those should be enough to convince yourself that you are holding the Unicorn Guy.

Race Car Guy

My final new minifigure is the Race Car Guy.  He comes complete with a race car costume that you assemble (two wheels get added and a small piece on the back of the car to cover up the one stud).

I appreciate the figure's color scheme - he looks the part of a true racer.  I also like the wheels on the car costume actually turn...and getting the one stud on the back of the car is a nice bonus as well.  The only downside that I see to the figure is that he is one of the toughest to find in a case - only three such figures will be in each box.  Luckily, feeling for him is easy enough as the car piece is quite large and the two wheels/axles are pretty easy to find in the packaging.

That does it for this round of minifigures - all that is left to do is to try and rank them with the other four that I already reviewed.
  1. Flower Pot Girl
  2. Cowboy Costume Guy
  3. Unicorn Guy
  4. Birthday Cake Guy
  5. Race Car Guy
  6. LEGO Brick Suit Girl
  7. LEGO Brick Suit Guy
  8. Cat Costume Girl
  9. Spider Suit Boy
The LEGO Brick Suit characters are basically tied for 6th place but I placed the girl ahead of the guy only because I like her hair piece better (the rest of the two figures are virtually the same with only a color swap).  If I were to rank these figures on a different day, I could see reordering the first five in a number of different ways - I like them all but for different reasons.  The Cat Costume Girl is actually quite good as well, but in my mind it simply doesn't interest me as much as the first 7 on that list.  I still have eight more minifigures to track down for my set (including the elusive Police Officer).  As I work towards completing my set, I'll keep reviewing the new figures (and updating my rankings)!


Comments