The Kitchen Mantle #06: There's a Jungle Out There!

My previous kitchen mantle set-up for my (now two-year-old!) son was an Easter village of sorts.  While that display was my wife's favorite of the mantle set-ups thus far, I don't think it was my son's favorite since there wasn't as much for him to play with (he didn't seem to care about the houses much at all).  With that in mind, I made sure the next set-up had lots and lots of play features and I'd say it was a roaring (pun intended) success!

That's right, I went with a full on jungle theme for him this time around.

While it's tough to capture the full mantle in a single photograph, hopefully you can see what I did there.

For the most part, the set-up consisted of official LEGO sets, nearly all of which were from the LEGO City Jungle subtheme that was released a few years ago.  I did sneak in one Ninjago Movie set that I had lying around, bonus points if you can find that.  

You may also have noticed a fairly large structure in the middle of the set-up.  That's my first true, large custom build that I've done for my son.  In this case, I built him a proper jungle temple using mostly pieces that I got from pick-a-brick walls over the years (plus I took apart the the waterfall portion of one of the jungle sets so that I could have that nice plastic printed piece).  

If I get the opportunity, I'll try to write another blog with much better close-up photos of my jungle temple.  I have to admit, for a fledgling custom LEGO builder like myself (with limited piece selection no less), I was quite proud of how it turned out!

As of the time of this post, the Jungle display is still up in the kitchen.  My son has taken to requesting specific vehicles to play with each evening (he varies in what he wants to use daily which is neat to see).  I do have plenty more ideas for future mantle displays, but this one might stay up longer than usual simply because my son has seemed to enjoy it so much!  That all being said, I'm personally excited for my next idea so who knows how long I'll be able to wait!  

I guess toddlers aren't the only ones with a lack of patience some times, haha.

Comments

  1. That custom temple is awesome! I love how you blend the jungle into the temple. It reminds me of Indiana Jones or something. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment