The Kitchen Mantle - #05: An Easter Village

My previous kitchen mantle set-up consisted mostly of a boardwalk or amusement park theme.  I'm building these displays for my young son (he turns two next month) so it's important to everyone involved to keep things rotating (and fresh). 

That being said, my son loved the wind turbine so much that I had to leave that particular model up...and so I built a full little village around complete with one of my only Easter themed sets (plus an Easter Bunny minifigure from one of the collectible minifigure sets.

My son really enjoyed the tree fort set the most - and truth be told, I think that was one of my favorite sets as well.  I also like the two cabins quite a bit, especially the one with the mountain and waterfall (shown below).

The two houses, on the other hand, were kind of a disappointment.  Both were part of the "modular" design that LEGO did with a lot of Creator house sets.  The idea is that you can easily pop the windows, doors, and a few other wall pieces out and quickly rearrange the modules to get a completely different looking house.

In reality, all that system does is make each building way more unstable than it ought to be...especially if you are letting a not-quite-two-year-old play with it (under strict supervision of course).  I think I'll eventually tear both of the regular houses down and make my own creations as I'm not enamored enough with either official set to keep them built as-is for long.

That does it for the fifth different mantle set-up for 2020.  Somehow, someway I've managed to keep varying the themes and sets for my son's amusement (and, let's be honest, my own amusement as well).  I also keep thinking that I'll be more ambitious and hand build some more scenery or other buildings (rather than just official LEGO sets) but that hasn't happened yet (other than some very small details here and there).  I guess it's all a work in progress - but as long as my son is loving it that's all that matters to me!

I'll definitely have someone else to show off before too long since it's time for the Easter display to come down.  What that something else will be isn't quite determined...but I have plenty of ideas (it's more a matter of picking one to go with).  Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Your son has excellent taste. The tree fort is my favorite set as well. I'm loving this mantle series. Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it! I have to admit, it's a lot of fun (even if the wife isn't wild about LEGO constantly on display in the kitchen, haha).

      Delete

Post a Comment