Looking Back on 2017 and Forward to 2018!

For me, the year 2017 was full of ups and downs.  The biggest high was definitely learning that my wife and I are expecting our first child (due in May 2018).  The biggest low came about a week ago when I learned that my cholesterol was out-of-the-park high and that I'd have to do some serious diet/exercise changes.  As someone who loves good food, that news was especially painful!

In terms of my LEGO hobby, 2017 was definitely basically all good news.  I finally made some serious progress on putting together my custom city.  I also started updating my YouTube channel with some more LEGO content including this look at my custom city from October.


Even better, I did some serious custom LEGO work this year which I was quite pleased with.  I don't fancy myself a particularly creative person, but darn it if I don't try once in a while!  This year, I combined a pair of official LEGO Spiderman sets to build a large, suspension bridge (complete with crooks' hideout).  I also built a custom LEGO grocery store / apartment in the same size and scale as the official LEGO Modular buildings. 

Looking forward to 2018, I have a few projects in mind.  First, I need to figure out how to raise up those modular buildings that you see in the video above.  Right now, I have them sitting on pieces of plywood but since that video was created the plywood has warped terribly!  I'm not exactly sure why, maybe the humidity in the man cave (i.e. basement)?  Anyhow, I need to figure something out there.  Once I get that under control, I'll probably have to revisit my suspension bridge again and raise the pillars up a few bricks higher so that the upper train can run "level" throughout the entire layout. 

Sticking with the custom city layout, I'd like to add another custom building or two to the mix.  Probably at least one residential building and another shop (I'm thinking a pizza place, maybe a pizza place / ice cream shop)?  Finally, I started building another wooden shelf for my minifigure collection and I'd like to finish that once the weather warms up a bit (my shop is in my unheated garage so working in the winter is basically out of the question).

As 2018 unfolds, I do hope to continue with updates here at Playing With Bricks.  I definitely get more traffic via my LEGO videos on YouTube as compared to my written work here, but that's ok.  I enjoy the blog just as much (if not more) so I don't see myself abandoning ship quite yet.  I hope all of my readers and visitors have a happy, healthy 2018 - and please keep checking back here for more goodies as the year progresses!

Happy 2018 everyone!

Comments