Custom LEGO City: Major Piece Order Arrived!

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that my custom LEGO City was going to be severely wrecked with a brand new biome rising from the ashes.  Since that time, I have successfully removed my "neighborhood" area and relocated the vast majority of the residents to the floor so that my son can play with them (also because I don't have space currently for the buildings anywhere)!  

With the neighborhood now gone, I was then able to build out a full-fledged monorail track (which I showed off here).  That track is (probably) not in its final form yet but it should be fairly close!  

Now, the next phase is about to begin thanks to a recent Bricklink order that finally arrived:  the building of my own Jurassic Park!  

Eventually, my goal is to have full Jurassic Park complete with all my LEGO dinosaurs.  I have ideas of having the monorail run throughout the park and I also hope to incorporate a few other cool ideas (perhaps even a Gyrosphere ride if all goes well).  That said, my first task was to acquire some pieces so that I could start working on some custom buildings and terrain.  

There's not much better than getting a box full of pieces in the mail!

In order to tease out some of my plans, here's a few photos of my recent order.  We'll begin with a big bunch of dark tan pieces.

I am hoping to make dark tan the predominant color for most of the terrain in my Jurassic park.  I like the look of the dark tan and, perhaps more importantly, there's also a number of large "rock pieces" that come in dark tan.  In fact, the reason why I bought from this seller in the first place was because he had the following "big ugly rock pieces" (aka BURPs) available for purchase:


My idea with these is to use them to help raise up my monorail in parts so that I can also have a Power Functions train run around my table.  The main challenge that I see with the BURPs is that I'll need to work fairly hard to disguise the fact that much of my terrain is made up of single, pre-molded pieces.

Another idea that I had for the train portion of the table is to make it look like the train is going through a tunnel (even though it'll be more of a "half-tunnel" since the track is on the outside of my table (i.e. you'll be able to see the train in the "underground").  


I bought a bunch of reddish brown pieces to help add to the illusion of a tunnel (think support posts and beams, that sort of thing).  In my head, this is a great idea but it may not pan out in practice - we'll see I guess.


I've decided to try and make the dark blue the prevailing color of my Jurassic Park set-up.  In part, that's because some of the official Jurassic Park sets feature the color fairly heavily (such as the Dilopholosaurus Outpost Attack which I reviewed here).  As such, I grabbed a few small lots of dark blue pieces (I'll definitely be needing more of that color down the line).  I also picked up some more staircases, some technic pieces, and those crystals ("just because").


The rest of the purchase included some more gray bricks (because I always need gray bricks) as well as a few other useful bits to have on hand.


In total, I racked up 1,120 pieces in this order spanning 35 different piece types.  It's my hope that by the time I do my next post here at Playing with Bricks that I'll have had a chance to at least start to prototype some of my ideas into physical creations.  Stay tuned as I slowly turn a major portion of my custom LEGO city into a dinosaur lover's paradise (and perhaps a bit of a safety liability for the minifigure population that comes to visit the park)!



Comments

  1. Can't wait to see the finished Jurassic Park. I'm very excited. Did you happen to pre-order the T-Rex escape from Target? I missed out, but I'll probably grab it at some point. If I do, it'll be my first Jurassic Park set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to preorder it, was busy at work yesterday. I'll definitely be picking that one up at some point though (and maybe the set with the Pyroraptor as well)!

      Delete

Post a Comment